Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"Into The Ocean"~Blue October

So its not the greatest of pictures, but this is what I looked like after my first trip into the ocean after not being able to even look at it for over a year.  If you know me, you know my love for the beach is way up there.  I used to live at the beach in high school...(I know, gingers and sun don't mix, but you couldn't keep me away!) I used to board all the time and taught younger kids in my family how to do it after I was taught at a young age by my grandfather & uncles.  I was devastated last year when I couldn't even look at the water because it would escalate my symptoms.  
My goal at the beginning of the summer was to at least get up to my waist and try to just stay there.  I worked on going into the water at the bay which has no undercurrent and the water stays up to your calves for a long distance.  When I got to the ocean, I stayed on the shoreline with my kids until my little sister coaxed me into going into the water.  My little sister who comes up to my shoulders and I probably out weigh her by 40 lbs, held my hand and walked me through the breakers as if I was a little kid.  Once I got on the more solid sand I felt okay.  I last about 5 minutes.  Later that day, my little brother held my hand again and took me out.  This time I lasted about 10 minutes.  
What was weird is my rocking symptoms were going opposite of the way the water was actually rocking, so I decided not to push myself too hard and go ahead back to shore.  It luckily didn't make me feel bad and I felt accomplished.  
I was so excited that I had to tell everyone so now I'm sharing with you.  I wanted to share with my fellow MdDSers about this because I wanted to give a little bit of hope.  This time last year I could barely walk on my own.  I was mainly stuck in chairs and beds and couches.  Over the last year I have pushed beyond my limits to fight my symptoms and work through them.  I still have bad days...especially when big storms come through, but my good out-weight the bad and that's what counts.  
As my favorite Disney character always says "Just keep swimming!"~Dori

No comments:

Post a Comment