Monday, May 20, 2013

"Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye"~Luke Bryan

Big update, so here goes.  The last few weeks have been really good.  I've had way more good days then bad.  I did have a few bad days that were really rough, but my good days totally outweighed them.  I was able to travel to go see friends in Richmond for a weekend which is about 1 1/2 hour trip.  I went to an amusement park where I was able to ride a couple of the easier rides.  Symptoms only elevated a little. 
I've started exercising, which has made me feel better too.  I've been doing low-key type exercises.  I'm trying really hard to get back into shape, but can't do my hard core exercises.  I've done a lot of research to find styles that will work out the areas that I want to with out pushing too hard to escalate the symptoms of rocking or dizzy feeling.  So stretching has been the biggest thing I've been working on.  Being a dancer for 15 years, I have always been flexible.  Well apparently after doing mostly sitting for a year, you lose that quick, so I'm getting it back.  I do some yoga, Pilates, and Tai Chi type movements to help relax my symptoms.  This has been my warm up of sorts since I can't do like a warm-up jog.  I use free weights, and exercise bands to do tension exercises for my arms and legs.  I do a lot of stuff with planks and push up positions to work my abs out.  Crunches tend to make the rocking worse for me.  Then at the end Lily comes down and we dance to cool down.  I alternate my days to make it better for me. 
I've also accomplished a lot around my house.  I have finished the top level of my house as far as painting and redecorating the space. I was able to also update our floor in our kitchen.  The floor nearly killed me, but I pushed through a lot of the tiredness to get it done.  I was having friends come over so I needed to get it done quickly.  Luckily I have awesome friends who talked to me while I suffered.  They made me laugh and find some humor in it. 
I had some emotional days this past week too.  Life happens, I'm a red-head, I get emotional.  Usually the emotional stuff makes my symptoms jump up much higher, but it wasn't as bad as it normally is. I was able to still function and move on to finish my projects.
I'm coming up on one year.  My symptoms started on May 28.  I was diagnosed on June 5.  I found my original post that I wrote on my facebook when friends and family were asking what was wrong.  I look back and realize how bad I was at that point, and how far I've come.  I feel like my good days are getting really good and there are more of them as time goes on. 
I'm testing myself Memorial Day weekend though.  I'm heading to South Carolina to see my dad and grandparents.  I have been down there in over a year.  This will be the longest trip that I've done since I was diagnosed.  I'm hoping for the best, ready for the worst.  I have faith that it will all work well, and if not, I have my meds and I'll have my family around as well to help.  This week I'll be preparing for the trip and it should be pretty relaxing all week since I finished all of my cleaning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment