Monday, August 24, 2015

"Photograph"~Ed Sheeran

Figured I needed to write and catch up with the world. 
So to say I've been busy is an understatement.  As you know, I've been working full time, but did you know I have two side jobs that I do?  I also type press releases for a friend's company and edit books for some author friends.  I love the writing & editing aspects because I love the written word (obviously...um hello there blog).  I've also been studying for a Medical Billing Certification that I've had trouble passing due to anxiety issues.  I've gotten better at working through those, but it is still a very difficult for me during certain events.  I'm also getting ready for a new Girl Scout season to start.  I'm a leader of a multi-level troop which means my girls range in age from 1st grade to 5th grade.  So lots of projects there.  Then there is me being a mom of a 10 & 7 year old who are getting ready to start their school years in two weeks.  Oh and let me not forget that we are taking a family vacation for 5 days to Tennessee, so there is planning for that.  There is also the anxiety of another mountain trip, but I really want to make this trip.  I am so very excited about it and can't wait to spend the time with my family.

So again, I've been busy is an understatement.  But through all of the craziness, I've been feeling pretty good.  I've had some small episodes, especially when some major storms came through the area, but other than that I've been really good.  I've been making sure to get plenty of rest.  I'm not stressing over the small stuff as much as I usually do.  I've taken time for myself by reading as much as I can to have quiet time.  I also have been listening to more music which has helped me stay relaxed.  


Its definitely tough to find things to help you cope with everyday life when you have MdDS, but you find what works for you.  Part of feeling better is trying to stay calm through the storms.  Finding ways to relax that don't trigger symptoms.  My favorite place to go shockingly is either the beach or pool.  Why not rock in a place where you are actually supposed to rock?  I actually love walking in sand.  I move the way my brain wants me to, and if I fall, it doesn't hurt.  The water is a place to just be able to just be.  I don't get in the pool when there are a lot of people.  I usually do this when its just my husband and myself so that I don't have the extra movement from the kids splashing.  The ocean water is a little different.  I don't go out in rougher seas, but when its really calm small waves.  It actually helps my body relax a lot.  Plus sitting in the sun and just getting that added Vitamin D definitely makes me feel much better.
I also read.  I do this by using an e-reader.  I adjust the line spacing, font size and style and the brightness.  I also read short stories on my harder days.  This makes me feel like I've accomplished something.  If I'm feeling really good I'll read the longer novels since I'm able to concentrate longer. 
I listen to music as well.  I alternate between either my headphones that cover my ears completely.  These noise cancelling headphones help block out the rest of the world as I relax.  I also use an ear bud that fits inside my ear canal.  These softer buds help when I'm dealing with ear pressure.  I know it sounds weird.  For most people these types of earbuds bother most people with ear conditions, but for me they actually have the opposite affect.  They help balance the pressure feeling in my ear.  I typically use these more in public as I can hide the cords under my shirts.  They don't get in the way of what I'm doing.  Also I'm able to just use one if I need to be able to hear my surrounds and the people around me.  The music helps me stay focused in chaotic situations while still being somewhat involved in the situations around me.  

Through the craziness of life I have found what works for me. I hope that other MdDSers have found what works for them.
~Sara
 

1 comment:

  1. You're a very very brave a strong girl. I have follow your blog many types. I ccant say all the time cause sometimes I miss your post or I'm to busy. But I do encommend you for facing your challenges while raising to young girls, having a spouse and three jobs and handling other activities, by side writing in your blog, hearing music and reading. Matt God always give you the strength that he has given you so far. Continue the faith. Without faith we don't have nothing.

    ReplyDelete