Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Are We The Waiting"~American Idiot Broadway Cast

I posted earlier this week on my MdDS sites to find relief for the sinus congestion I've been suffering all weekend long.  Every medicine I took made me feel so drowsy, so I reached out for suggestions.  
Here's the deal...I'm a redhead...I know, what does that have to with the price of tea in China.  Minus the fact that I'm your stereotypical emotional redhead, I have also come to learn that us gingers have a lot of things that come up that don't happen with out hues of colored hair.  
First, we metabolize things differently.  It takes us more anesthesia to keep us under for surgeries.  It takes more Novocaine to numb us.  And when it comes to medicines, well most meds that work for some, make us feel, well, different.  
For me I can't take most anti-depressants or medications that help with neurological issues.  This is a big issue for me because the meds that are helping some MdDS patients (i.e. Klonopin, Ativan, Clonazepam, etc.) mess with my psyche.  This also goes along with all the new hormonal treatments they are trying on MdDSers.  Adding additional hormones into my system is just NOT a good idea.  I become the Hulk to my normal Bruce Banner (just ask the husband).  And don't get me started on sleep aids!  I was given an Ambien the night before I had my son Seth to help me to get good rest before inducing me the next day and I still don't remember any of the birth!
So, to get back on track, I had this horrible congestion over the weekend.  I tried different meds here at home, and even Josh went out and bought some meds to try and help as well.  Nothing has seemed to help.  I have been drinking hot apple cider and also OJ.  I've used saline spray which has seemed to help a little, and I've also taking a daytime and nighttime sinus decongestant.  The night time stuff is okay because I sleep it off, but it also wears off after about 2 hours (great metabolism).  The daytime stuff helped the first day, but the days after have just escalated my symptoms.  I can't use products like Afrin as they cause nosebleeds for me and Mucinex makes my stomach upset.  At this point I've decided to just suck it up and deal with it.  Its now moved more towards a full blown cold with the non-stop coughing and sneezing, whereas before it was just the sinus congestion.  I guess I would prefer the full on cold because I feel like I'm actually moving stuff in my system.  
I'm keeping up with my saline spray, keeping a box of tissues on hand, and hand sanitizer in my pocket so I don't get anyone else sick. 

On another note, my boy gets his permanent cast on today.  He'll have to wear it for 6 weeks.  This has been a trial for both him and myself.  Seth is my right-hand man.  He's always there to help me with his little sister and to help me when I need it.  He was one of the first people to get that I can't do everything I used to and he just sort of stepped up on his own.  Now he and I have both had to learn to adjust.  I don't have my right hand man, well I do he just can't do everything that he could before the break.  Lily has stepped up to help but of course she is only 4 (almost 5...oh my where has the time gone!) and she can only do but so much on her own.  To top this off VA has had some horrible storm systems come through which have not helped my symptoms .  So Seth and I have both struggled this last week.  But he's an awesome kid and has been so brave through all of this.  

And to finish my post for today, I would just like to throw out a big thank you to all who read my blog and respond with comments, whether they are good or bad, they are very encouraging.  To struggle with something that is so far out of your hands, and to have the support system that I have, I just feel so lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment