Thursday, September 20, 2012

"Boots Are Made For Walking"~Nancy Sinatra

Here is the second blog for today...and this one is about shoes.  I've never been a shoe person...that would be my sister, the fashionista of the family, but because of my MdDS I'm looking at all kinds of shoes that I would typically not wear.  
I'm a flip-flop person in the spring & summer and tennis shoes in the fall & winter.  Since I was diagnosed, I've worn nothing but flip-flops.  I've actually worn through 2 pairs of flips flops this summer.  I like the flips because the soles are thin and I can feel the ground much better.  It helps me adjust to the floors, grounds, & sidewalks.  Now wearing flips everyday has made my ankles & heels hurt so much because of the lack of support.  
Now its fall and I need warmer shoes.  I've tried wearing my tennis shoes through the summer and can't walk in them.  I feel like I'm walking on a moon bounce.  Needless to say I immediately start to fall over or walk like a drunk in sneakers.  
So I started reading our support groups and many people had ideas for shoes.  Some said to try the "Shape-Ups®" and others said to try a type of Moccasin®.  So I tried on a few different shoes and I'm still looking.  The toner shoes did not help me at all.  They made me feel so much worse...but more power to those who can manage it!  The Moccasins were really comfortable and I'm definitely going to invest in some of those.  I also found a great pair of Champion® shoes that have a very thin sole.  They aren't the greatest for ankle support, but they definitely helped with my heels and arches.  The soles were as thin as a flip flop but they were still really comfortable.  They were also very lightweight so I didn't feel like I was wearing weights on my feet.  
I already owned a pair of Nike® shoes and also Reebok®.  I loved these shoes, but unfortunately the types I have are either too heavy or the soles are too thick.  So they go to the bottom of the closet and if my symptoms go away, the shoes will come back out.  
I'm going to continue shopping for them and as I try them out I will let you know if I find anymore.   
If you know of a type of shoe to try let me know!  I'll be glad to go check them out and let you know how it goes :-)  

1 comment:

  1. I wear Nike Celso flip flops. Men's/unisex, mostly--the women's are not cushy enough, whereas the men's, I can wear constantly. I have horrible feet and these are the only flip flops I can wear constantly. I go through a couple of pairs a year. I even walk distances in them sometimes. I wear mainly Clark's for dressier shoes and sandals.

    ReplyDelete