Friday, April 5, 2013

"Livin' On The Edge"~Aerosmith

I think I'm a glutton for punishment.  My kids have been asking for a sleepover with their cousins.  I finally gave in and gave the okay for it.  I decided to have them all over at one time.  Tonight we'll have my two and three other cousins.  I figure though that I survived the other day, that a night won't be so bad.  I can handle it.  We'll have three boys under the age of 9 and two girls at age 5.  They definitely will keep each other busy that's for sure.  For one of the cousins, it will be his first sleepover.  He's 5 as well.  This should definitely be interesting.  Pizza for dinner it is.  My husband informed me that he'll see me tomorrow as he left for work this morning.  
So my biggest concern is the weather.  Its been rainy, actually it was icy yesterday (I know, where the heck is spring!)  Me and weather like this don't mix, but I've kept up my meds (which I hate, but you do what you have to do). 
It is definitely going to be interesting to see how everything goes.  I have a feeling that the insomnia that I've been dealing with might actually come in handy tonight.  
__
In other news....
I've been reading a lot of articles on MdDS.  There aren't that many, but they are out there.  I've come to the conclusion that this disorder is baffling on so many different levels. 
First of all, let me just say, I get so ticked when I read the headline "Person suffers from chronic 'seasickness'"  Its not seasickness! Just because most get this disorder from being on a cruise or boat, its not the only way.  After meeting people and talking with people, so many of us have come by this disorder in so many ways.  I personally was diagnosed after a car trip through mountains.  
Its not vertigo!  Yes, as far as the medical field goes, when they use coding for billing they have codes under vertigo. Vertigo is an umbrella diagnosis, MdDS falls under that umbrella.  
Symptoms for MdDS vary for just about every patient with the common ground of a rocking bobbing sensation, like you are on a boat.  It affects balance, coordination, and even concentration.  For me personally, my symptoms change almost daily.  You adjust to these symptoms.  You find your limits.  
I understand that when the news media reports on MdDS, they try to simplify it.  You can't.  Its not simple.  If it was simple, we would understand what exactly starts it, how to prevent it and how to fix it.  The news tries to understand it the best they can, just like anyone who doesn't have the disorder.  Don't get me wrong, I love that word is getting out.  It needs to be.  Its just sometimes when I'm reading the articles, I feel like the last line the author wants to right, "so that's it, this person just needs to get off the boat."
The more research that I do on the disorder, I'm finding that there are few doctors who have even heard of it, which is sad.  But even those doctors have different ways of going about treating it.  As I've said before, I hate meds.  I don't like taking them at all, and only do so when I absolutely have to.  I refuse to take any meds that are anti-depressants, because they alter my personality, and my personality is crazy enough as it is.  I'm not judging those who do, it works for you and that's so awesome, but I just can't do it.  My doc and I are stuck with what to do at this point, so I work on some different coordination exercises, and push for ways to figure out how to work around the symptoms.  
I rock.  And by that, I mean literally, I rock.  It makes me feel better.  I rock in chairs that don't.  I stand up and shift back and forth.  My family and friends have gotten used to it.  If it gets really bad they'll stop me.  What throws me off is when people start rocking with me.  
Its baffling, and I hope that one day we can find out what is the root cause of it all.  If we can get to that point then maybe we can figure out why we all have different symptoms, how to prevent it, and how to fix the problem.   

No comments:

Post a Comment