Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"Curbside Prophet"~Jason Mraz

So I have another tip.  Its hard to do, but if you can focus enough and not get overwhelmed, it helps.  So due to me not being able to work, I decided to start couponing again.  I stopped awhile ago because I couldn't stay together with it.  Now I'm not becoming one of the extreme couponers, however I do need to save some money.  I've decided to start stocking up on items that we use on an almost daily basis.  I grabbed a friend who's been doing this for awhile for advice and help with reading ads.
So stores FREAK ME OUT.  I was never like this but since May, lets just add this to my list of things I needed to re-learn how to do.  The last few times I've gone into a store its taken me more than 4 hours to get through one grocery store.  This doesn't work when you have kids with you.  So I've come up with some ideas for shopping.
1.  I try to stick to one, maybe two stores I shop.  I have learned their layout, their store policies, and also (and I think more importantly) the staff that works the store.  The recognition and familiarity of people around me makes the outing that much easier.
2.  I stay away from stores during peak hours.  I also stay away from popular stores on weekends (i.e. Walmart, Target, etc.)  Its not that I have something against these stores, its just that the amount of product+the amount of people=panic attacks, dizziness, and eventually me just sitting in the middle of the aisle trying to refocus.
3.  I got a large binder and some baseball card sleeves.  I alphabetized my coupons by type (i.e. air fresheners, baking, cleaners, condiments, etc.  I can see every coupon I have while going through the store.  Now you may not want to alphabetize, but put them in the order the items show up in your own grocery store.  So organizing a book like this took me a few weeks to get it like I wanted it, but now its easy and I know exactly where everything is.  Its a really good feeling to know I can finally remember where I put something.
4.  I make a very neat list and compare the ads with coupons I have.  I pull the coupons I'm going to use and also put a "c" next to the items on my list so I know I have a coupon.  This has me checking the prices to make sure I read them correctly as well as remember to use the coupon at the end of the trip.  My list keeps me on track as to what I need, no so much what I want.  
5.  Don't get frustrated.  Just breathe.  If it becomes too much, don't hesitate to just stop, buy what you have and go home for awhile.  I've put stuff right back on a shelf and walked out because I became too overwhelmed.

Now, I will state that I'm not a professional, nor do I feel like I've gotten this routine down pat.  I've just begun the coupons, however the rest of the tips I've done since this has started.  If I have to go somewhere I'm not familiar, I take my earbuds and listen to music.  I take a person with me so I can hold onto someone if need be.  Today was my first big shopping with my coupon book all laid out and I finished our grocery shopping in an hour and a half.  Now I know this is a long time, but it was my first time trying out this new system.  I found things I need to work on and what I can do better next time.  I'm determined to only have to be in a grocery store for no more than an hour.  
Also surprisingly, working with coupons and my list, and checking over store prices kept me so focused that I didn't even really notice anything else going on minus a few moments with my kids.  I did go to the store at 8:30 in the evening so the store was pretty much empty, but it worked for me.  I was relaxed. 

I did two transactions (the store's policy will only double 20 coupons per transaction).  I had a total of 49% in savings.  It would have been less had I not needed to buy meat and a few other items that we just picked up because it looked yummy!  (I really need to get out of that habit! haha)  Most of the items I picked up today will be for my son & husband's lunches for next week.  I'll work on dinners this week and come up with that list for next week.  Wow, what an amazing feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment