Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I Won't Back Down~Tom Petty

My goals for this week is to find ways to make my life easier with this syndrome...so here goes my first few tips.

Tip one-Help for anyone with any type of disability with home security.  I had my rep from ADT come to my house to check out my system and see if there is a way we can make it easier for myself.  The problem with my system is that the panel is at the top of my main stair case.  You have 30 seconds to turn it off when you open the door and 1 minute to get out the door once its turned on.  My problem is I don't move that fast anymore.  ADT now has an app for the smartphone that they are coming to set up for me!!!!  This app will allow me to Arm & Disarm my system on my phone, no matter where I am...even out of state if someone needed to get into my home in an emergency situation!!!!  Also with a push of a button I can contact my ADT people (just like w/ OnStar) if I need police or fire assistance and they will stay on the phone with me.  Piece of mind without feeling like one of those seniors with a LifeAlert hahaha....This is great for the security of my family, and we've had ADT so far for 4 years and love them so added plus of not having to switch companies.  Another plus?  Discount on homeowner's insurance WOO HOO!  The discount I'm getting actually covers the cost of the system!

Tip two-Help in the kitchen.  One of my biggest problems was being able to cook real meals for my kids because of standing over a stove to watch food.  So first thing is a crock pot.  I now make 2-3 meals per week in the crock-pot.  I use my pampered chef mandolin to slice food and my food chopper (thanks Sarah) to chop smaller pieces (so I don't have to worry about slicing my fingers)  I have measuring cups that are flat on the bottom so I can set them down to pour items in them.  I also will be freezing my leftovers from now on for those days where cooking is just not for me.  I can thaw them out and then microwave them to heat it up.  

Tip three-Cleaning.  Clorox wipes and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have become my friends.  Scents tend to bother me on my bad days, but the house won't clean itself, so on my bad days I use these items instead of my heavy duty cleaners.  With laundry, I have my four year old help with grabbing stuff and putting it into the dryer, however if you don't have a child available, you can use one of those grabbers reach your top cabinet shelves.  This helps relieve the bending over and squatting as well.  I got a Swiffer Sweeper mop and took the handle off.  I sit down and mop on my hands and knees.  This helps with the symptoms from standing.  

Tip four-Remember to Rest.  Take breaks.  Make sure you eat your meals even if you feel nauseated.  Your body is fighting as well as trying to do what you want it to do.  Drink plenty of fluids and if you take medications, watch the time and be sure to take your meds on time.  Don't let them wear off!!  This has happened to me a few times because I don't realize how long I've been cleaning and just forget.  I've now started to set my phone.

Tip five-If you symptoms are really bad, don't worry about your house!  Order in pizza or chinese and just let the house go!  Your friends and family know what is going on and know that you are struggling on a day to day basis.  Don't hesitate to ask for help when needed.  

I going to keep fighting this fight and find ways to get my life back and I won't back down.


No comments:

Post a Comment