Saturday, June 1, 2013

"Brighter Than The Sun"~Colbie Callat


DAY 1:  
Today I started off working with my son's Boy Scout pack to clean the Chesapeake Bay.  This meant walking, a lot, on sand.  Also lots of bending over to pick up items and then standing back up, getting hot, working with a large group of people.  But this is something that has always meant a lot to me.  I used to do work like this in high school and I love our bays and beaches here in VA.  It was a way for my family to give back.  So I rocked (haha get it?) my MdDS shirt (thanks Meredith & David), and pushed on to clean up.  Our pack collected 240 lbs of trash off the bay in our section.  It felt amazing to be able to do it.  
I learned last summer that I love walking on sand because it shifts with me.  The way I want to walk, the way I need to move.  My symptoms stayed low the entire time only rising just slightly towards the end.  
This time last year I was laid out, never even thought to go near water because it would just make me feel ill...I walked to the water's edge today and was actually able to watch the water move in and out.  Granted, this is the bay, not the ocean.  The waves come up to your ankles not your waist, the water rolls in on these sandbars so its not so much at one time, but we will get to the ocean.  I'm determined!

No comments:

Post a Comment